American Craft Beer Week (ACBW) started yesterday (May 16) and runs until Sunday (May 22). This very special week celebrates the importance of craft breweries and their beers to American society. In the words of the Brewers Association (BA), American Craft Beer Week celebrates “the culture and community of craft beer, and give breweries and beer businesses the opportunity to connect with the fans.”
Here’s a short history lesson about the Week (also courtesy of the BA): American Craft Beer Month used to be celebrated in July but was later changed into a weeklong affair in May; this happened back in 2006. Since then thousands of events have been held in honor of ACBW and with the support of two Congressional Resolutions, this week is sure to stay and be much celebrated: thank the heavens for that!
- 2006: 124 breweries hosted events and House Resolution 753 was passed by the U.S. Congress
- 2007: 150 breweries hosted events
- 2008: 168 breweries hosted events and the Declaration of Beer Independence was introduced
- 2009: 212 breweries hosted more than 500 events
- 2010: 341 breweries hosted 621 events with recognition at multiple retailers in 45 states. House Resolution 1297 was passed by the U.S. Congress
Courtesy of the Brewers Association
For those who don’t know, craft beers are made without unmalted grains, e.g. rye, wheat, and barley. Many smaller breweries and microbreweries specialize in craft beers due to the growing popularity of specially crafted beers. Names like Samuel Adams and Sierra Nevada have done very well for themselves by introducing such beers into the market. I’m a Sam Adams man myself and would like to check out Sierra Nevada the next chance I get.
In order to assist you guys & gals in celebrating this fine week we’ve picked out a few Happy Hours you might want to check out below. Cheers!
- Point Break NYC: Happy Hour 5 to 7, $4 Drafts And Well Drinks + $4 Raz Fun+ $2 Keystone Ice & $10 Hurricane 40’s All Nite ( get Your beer Pong Team Ready)
- Bar 12 Sports Bar & Lounge: Specials/Events for Today: Happy Hour: $4 Domestic Draft, $5 Well 12:00p-8:00p, $20 Bucket of Beer
- Risque Cafe – American Craft Brews and Smokehouse: a lot…
- The Beer Bistro: Come to “Chicago Craft Beer Week” Thursday, May 19 from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm. Join us for a Week long Celebration.
- Mars Bar & Restaurant: Monday – Fridays – happy hour dining 5:30p.m. – 8:00p.m. – Happy Hour weekdays! Every Monday thru Friday 3:00p.m. – 7:00p.m. $3 Beer special! – all bottle beers are $3 all day and all night!
- The Royal Exchange: Happy Hour 2-6pm M-F Beer & Wine Specials, Appetizer specials, weekly shots and drink specials!